GET INVOLVED - As a Coach or a Running Buddy
THEY CALL ME COACH
We welcome enthusiastic, dedicated and positive volunteers who are committed to empowering girls with valuable life lessons. Coaches are parents, teachers, school administrators, college students and other community members who are committed to developing and celebrating our girls.
The Coach is a volunteer position that works with a team of coaches to facilitate the Girls on the Run curriculum to program participants. This position entails approximately four hours per week for a 10-week commitment.
- Coaches can be women or men
- Coaches need NOT be runners
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must consent to and complete a background check
- Attend Girls on the Run coach training
- Attend all (two) practices per week for a weekly time commitment of approximately 4 hours
- Have fun!
- Serve as a role model for program participants
- Prepare, organize and supervise weekly lessons
- Collaborate with other coaches for successful lesson delivery
- Facilitate communication with parents/guardians of program participants
- Participate in the Girls on the Run 5K
- Plan and coordinate your team’s end of season party
Can I choose the school where I coach?
Coaches may indicate a preference for the site at which they would like to coach. If coaches do not have a preference, we will assign them to a location in need of volunteers.
Will I be reimbursed for coaching expenses?
All coaching teams will receive a GOTR Team Kit, curriculums, and snacks. Coaches will not have any out-of-pocket expenses associated with GOTR.
When and Where are the Practices/Lessons?
When: The Fall 2019 season starts in mid-September, and culminates with the Girls on the Run 5K on Saturday, November 23rd at Bloedel Donovan in Bellingham. Spring Season will start in mid-March and wraps up early June.
Teams meet once or twice a week for 10-weeks after school.
Where: Girls on the Run of NW Washington sites are located throughout Whatcom County. Each school site chooses its own days and times that work best for the program at their location
Coaches agree to:
- Demonstrate a positive, encouraging demeanor and a healthy lifestyle.
- Be your wonderful self with the girls at all times and have fun with them!
- Prepare for the lessons in the curriculum. You will also lead or assist with each lesson, participate in the games and activities, and attend the 5K with your team.
- Promote the program at your school. Girls on the Run manages program registration but in some cases, we may need your assistance.
- Read your coach newsletters and respond when needed.
- Communicate effectively with the Girls on the Run staff and respond in a timely fashion.
- Notify the GOTR staff as soon as possible if there is any change in your coaching status.
What are the Benefits of Coaching?
- A discount on your daughter’s program registration fee.
- A guaranteed spot in the program for your daughter.
- The option to have your 2nd-grade daughter in the program (coaches’ daughters only).
- An official “Girls on the Run Coach” T-shirt.
- Girls on the Run coach training.
- The official Girls on the Run curriculum (complete with lesson plans for every practice) as well as the materials and supplies needed for each lesson.
- Support throughout the season from the Girls on the Run staff.
- Complimentary 5K registration.
- Other fun surprises along the way!
BE A RUNNING BUDDY FOR THE 5K
What is a Running Buddy?
We want every girl to have her own personal cheerleader during the 5K run. Often times she brings that person – a family member, neighbor or older friend. But when a girl has no Running Buddy, we match her up with a runner from the community – YOU! All paces are welcome. We have girls who run like the wind blows, others who jog and take walking breaks and, of course, we have girls who are in no hurry at all to get to the finish line.
How do I sign up?
Contact Sharon at email@example.com to get on the Running Buddy list!
VOLUNTEER AT THE 5K
Our 5K at the end of each Girls on the Run season is a BIG event and takes many hands to make it successful. We need help with set-up, registration, Happy Hair Station, refreshments, course monitoring and take-down. Join us and be part of this inspiring and joyful event!
Contact Program Coordinator Sharon Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-255-0517