LEARN. CONNECT. GIVE BACK.
It is only through the support of our hundreds of thousands of volunteers and donors that we are able to give back to our communities. When you volunteer at the Y, you take an active role in bringing about meaningful change in your community.
The generosity of others is at the core of our existence. It is only through the support of our hundreds of thousands of volunteers and public and private donors that we are able to give back to the communities we serve.
Across the United States, more than 500,000 business leaders, community advocates, parents, teens and individuals who want to give back and support their neighbors volunteer at the Y. That’s because in 10,000 neighborhoods nationwide we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but deliver positive, personal and social change.
With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, Y volunteers give men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected and secure.
Volunteers of the Y
- Lead our Boards of Directors and committees
- Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community
- Coach our running programs
- Motivate and support youth in building the character strengths, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health, smart life choices, and the pursuit of higher education and goals
- Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more or live healthier
- Advocate for the Y’s efforts to influence policies and initiatives that positively impact societal issues of importance to the nation, and your community
- Participate in opportunities to give back and support neighbors
The Y is a nonprofit like no other. Take an active role in strengthening your community.
Girls on the Run Coach or 5k Volunteer
You do not need to be an elite runner or an experienced coach.Girls on the Run is looking for dynamic role models, dedicated to empowering girls to become healthy and confident young women. Teams of volunteer coaches facilitate our easy to follow curriculum with groups of 8-15 girls over the course of ten weeks. At the end of the season, teams from all over Whatcom County come together for a celebratory 5K run. You rarely see so much pride, joy and so many smiling faces in one place - it is not to be missed!
Annual Campaign Volunteer
Every YMCA volunteer is an integral part of the team. Together we will raise more than $270,000 during 2018 Annual Community Support Campaign. There are two different volunteer positions in this year’s campaign:
- Y Family Supporter - Tell the YMCA story to friends and neighbors and ask them to join you in making a financial gift to the campaign.
- Y Department Leader - Accept the additional responsibility of inviting others to join you as a YMCA storyteller and campaign volunteer.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
Do you have a musical talent? Do you enjoy reading to children? There are so many ways to volunteer at the YMCA. We offer opportunities in several program areas to share your time, talent and skills.
- Early Learning Programs
- School Age Childcare
- Teen Programs
- Trail Blazers Coach
- Welcome Desk
- Wellness Center