August Urban Poling: Register Today!
For Active Older Adults and People With Parkinson's
Register for the August class today!
Thanks to a grant from the local business Seeking Health, the Y is piloting, free sessions of Urban Poling this summer. Classes will meet at local parks, and participants will be using loaner Activator poles.
Poling for Parkinson's with Tracy Diehl: Tuesday mornings at 10:30am
Poling for Active Older Adults with Mary Latta & Tammy Bennett: Thursday afternoons at 1:00pm
But first, what is Urban Poling? Urban poling combines the upper body technique similar to cross country skiing wit the lower body technique of regular walking. The terms 'nordic walking' and 'urban poling' are interchangeable. Here are 10 reasons why urban poling might be good for you to try:
- full-body workout
- improves core strength-e.g. with excellent technique, 5,000 steps per hour produces 5,000ab contractions and 2,500 latissimus dorsi contracts (per side)
- burns 20-46% more calories than standard walking
- reduces impact to knees & hips
- improves posture
- improves mood, according to studies on depression
- increase motivation to walk
- effective for helping to manage diabetes, cardiac rehab, a variety of injuries, chronic pain, obesity, breast cancer, etc.
Poling For Parkinson's
August 3 - 24
Tuesdays at 10:30am
If you have questions about Poling for Parkinson's, please contact Tracy, email@example.com. OR call the Welcome Desk to register, 360-733-8630.