Active Older Adults
Your Body is Meant to Move
We are here for you whether in our facility or at home with virtual classes.
Join your favorite YMCA Senior Fitness Instructors in LIVE classes every Monday-Friday at 10am. We are teaching a different class each day. To join us on Virtual Y CLICK HERE.
Tivity Health offers an array of safe, effective videos that you can follow from home. If you have the SilverSneaker benefit on your insurance plan, you can access these workouts. We realize it’s not the same as exercising with your friends and your favorite instructors, but it will help you stay fit until being together is possible again. Check our our SilverSneakers On-Demand page.
If you have SilverSneakers as a benefit to your insurance, you are eligible to participate in the SilverSneakers On Demand Workouts. Don't know if you have the benefit? Click HERE to see if you qualify.
If you have a Facebook account, there is a SilverSneakers Facebook page. When you go to it, look to the column on the left and click on videos. There are all kinds of workouts you can do with no special equipment and some are quite fun. David Jack is one of the instructors that our own SilverSneakers instructors get good ideas from. You may recognize some of the activities in his videos!
If Videos are not your thing, consider peppering your day with little bursts of activity.
- Walking is always good, and a ten-minute stretch at a time counts toward your cardiovascular total of 150 minutes per week!
- Chair Stands (your favorite!) are possible on any sturdy chair that doesn’t move.
- If you have stairs in your house, that can help you with lower body strength & endurance if your joints allow it.
- Practicing balance is always smart. Try standing on one leg or with one foot flat/one foot toe down. Being close to something sturdy that doesn’t move is always smart when you are practicing your balance skills.
- Also, think about ways to fragment your sitting-break it up into pieces. A few times every hour, make sure to get up and move as much as possible. The easiest technique for this is to get up and get a drink of water. Then you will HAVE to get up more!
Locations: Bellingham YMCA Location
Category: Physical Activities